LOVEABLE QUIRKY PEEPS

8/5/10

PJ and Vicki Collaborate...THE END



 
I'm participating in Saturday Centus,
hosted by JENNY MATLOCK Visit her to see how others formed a short story from this weeks prompt...which is in blue.
I'm again collaborating with PJ over at Seens From The Backs Of My Eyelids to write a six chapter story. Visit us to see what we do...


Chapter One (PJ)

I peered into the cardboard box of treasures she’d squirreled away. In the computer age, why would anyone hold onto yellowed ephemera?

I snatched a dog-eared newspaper photo that stuck out from under a careless pile. “Why did you save this, Terra? It must be 2 decades old! Who the heck is it anyway?"

She removed it carefully from my hand and told me how she’d been brutally raped when she was 13, walking home one night. The man in the photo had saved Terra’s life.

She returned the photo to its rightful place and spoke reverently, “That’s why it meant so much to me.”



 CHAPTER TWO (Vicki)

It was haunting seeing Karen unfold the clipping,  attempting to open moments as delicate as the paper. Watching the distress in her eyes.

I hadn't told anyone. Mom said never to, it would bring the horrors ripping back through my mind. That no one would believe it.
  
Yet it's been there gnawing at my memory. Through the healing years of smiles hiding the wrenching heartache, laughter hiding the inner screams.

Karen is the only one I can tell.
That’s why it meant so much to see the tears wavering in her eyes.

And my own; never to surface until now.

But will she believe me?


Chapter Three (PJ)

“Oh Terra, don’t cry! I’m okay!” Karen embraced me as I sobbed.

I took a step back and avoided her eyes, first trying to find the words, then trying to form them.

“R-R-Remember when I spent that year away to help my Gram out?”

“Sure.”

“Gram didn’t need help; I did.” She whispered, “I-I was date raped, g-got pregnant and my parents made me have the baby and give it up for a-d-doption.”

The floodgates of a lifetime opened up. Karen knew it wasn’t the time to speak. She wrapped me in her arms for hours and let me cry. That’s why it meant so much.



Chapter Four (Vicki)

Being 13...

Too old for baby dolls, not yet ready for boyfriends, detesting the days of fluctuating moods, uncertain feelings, pimples! Wanting only to know what it's all about.
 

The exhilarating fire of first love. Drinking in every word, believing it will last forever. Your heart dancing when you touch. Wanting only to please, afraid of crossing that line...

Friends opening doors slammed shut for so long. Telling of horror's kept deep inside. Of lost innocence, lost dreams, lost childhood.
That’s why it meant so much.
Daring to trust again. Holding on to hope; that each would be able to understand the pain in the telling...




Chapter Five (PJ)



Tears dried, face blotchy red, eyes swollen, I find my voice again and let out a big sigh.



“Karen, thanks so much for being here, sharing, listening. I look a mess, but I feel lighter. That’s why it meant so much. I should’ve told someone long ago.”


“Don’t beat yourself up Terra;
hindsight’s always 20/20. It’s hard to imagine that we could know each other so well, yet not have known each other’s darkest secrets.”




I put my hand back in the cardboard treasure chest, pull out her first grade picture and laughed heartily.


“While we’re sharing, will you tell the secret story behind this haircut.






Chapter six (Vicki) 


They giggled about haircuts, funky teenage fashions and nerdy glasses.

The bond they had grew stronger that day. Burdens of the past floated away in the breeze that drifted through the attic window. Forgiveness of ones self granted.


That’s why it meant so much when Terra again found the faded newspaper clipping. Karen listened quietly as she told the story behind the face.

Lying on the ground in disbelief, sobbing, pleading, praying. She saw a shadow behind the form above her, Then felt herself being carried away from the nightmare and heard the words she'll always remember..

"Little brother will never hurt anyone again."



THE END
 



Join us again Saturday for another continuing tale !













Keep smilin (o:




3 comments:

Viki said...

This was so well done by the two of you but very disturbing.

Sue said...

Definitely chilling.

Jenny said...

I think when something feels this disturbing it means you two have certainly done it right!

Great surprise ending.