LOVEABLE QUIRKY PEEPS

3/20/10

ANOTHER MEMORY LOST....

Just sharing this in between Canute and Sarah posts...



Actor Fess Parker, famous for playing American pioneer Davy Crockett in Walt Disney's classic 1950s TV series, has died in California at the age of 85.....

The Texas-born actor launched a craze for coonskin caps and buckskin shirts with his sturdy turn as the US icon. Parker went on to play Daniel Boone, another real-life frontiersman, in a 1960s TV show before retiring.

Born in Fort Worth and raised in San Angelo, Parker served in the US Navy and graduated from the University of Texas before trying his hand at acting.
He subsequently landed a contract with Warner Brothers, making his motion picture debut in Springfield Rifle in 1952. In 1954, at the age of 29, he was cast in a three-episode miniseries about Crockett, the "King of the Wild Frontier" whose life became an American folk legend.The program was enormously popular with viewers and featured a theme song that topped the charts for 13 weeks. After largely retiring from show business, Parker became a prominent California winemaker and developer.

He died of natural causes at his Santa Ynez Valley home on Thursday - the same day Marcella, his wife of 50 years, celebrated her 84th birthday.


Good Bye Daniel Boone...you're in my memories of many fun days playing "Cowboys and Indians" , of the fun hat we all wanted to own and of all the good you did in the 'Old West' On to more adventures.....


See ya Yesterday...

4 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

My goodness. He and Daniel Boone were one of my favorites. Another part of my era gone. Sure does make you feel your mortality.
Mary

Pearl said...

Great tribute Vicki, yeah great memories for sure. I loved all Disney movies, and I miss the "old" Disney. Have fun with the sleep over!

Sue said...

I have such fond memories of
Davy Crockett - and playing cowboys and indians with my friends (of course I had a cap shooting six-shooter!)

R.I.P. Fess Parker!

Sue

Jenny said...

Oh man. I loved Daniel Boone. Him and MacGyver. OK ... and Davy Crockett. But that's it. Really.